From 1836 to the current Fregis Veterinary Hospital
Camille Leblanc, son of a renowned teacher of the Veterinary School of Alfort, founded a Veterinary Hospital for dogs and cats in 1836. This was the first private Veterinary Hospital in France. It was installed in Montmartre, Paris surrounded by vineyards and market gardens. Collaboration began with Louis Pasteur, who spoke glowingingly of Leblanc (based on a report of the Academy Science of March 1, 1886). In 1882, Gustave Eugène Fregis took over from Leblanc and continued collaboration with Pasteur, mostly on Pasteur's work on rabies. Dr Lamouroux, collaborator and successor to Dr Fregis, continued to develop small animal medicine during the two wars. His son, Jean Lamouroux, a veterinarian as well, succeeded him until 1979 at the same location in Paris. It was at this moment that Fregis Hospital developed veterinary emergency medicine and specialized consultations for dogs and cats, gradually forming a top team that maintained the objectives its past in the different fields including surgery, dematology, etc. In Paris, the Veterinary Hospital Fregis is a model whose fame transcends borders: in London to take care of dogs of the Kennel Club, in Belgium to bring back serum for distemper dogs, or treating dogs from the Tsar of Russia. Enjoying also the respect of his colleagues, Dr Fregis became President of the Society of Veterinary Practice in France.
The creation of the Centre Hospitalier Veterinaire Fregis (Veterinary Hospital and Speciality Center of Fregis) started progressively from 1980. Dr. Corlouer joined Fregis when the clinic aimed to develop emergency, internal medicine and surgery specialty services for dogs and cats. After 160 years of loyal service in Montmartre, the need for a larger clinic led to a move to the Porte d’Orleans, in the south of downtown Paris. Remaining in the Paris area, this center for veterinary excellence is a well-known practice for veterinarians across France.
The team is now composed of 30+ veterinarians, with about half of them being european specialists for dogs and cats (surgery, internal medicine, neurology, diagnostic imaging, dermatology, ophtalmology, cardiology, exotics, etc.), and a quarter of them having practiced or trained in North America or England. Many veterinarians who spent years in Fregis are now wellknown faculty across the world. Dr. Olivry left the structure in 1992 and is currently head of the Dermatology service at the University of North Carolina in the United States. Dr Dupre is now head of the Surgery Service of the University of Vienna. Dr Bouvy is now a faculty in Liege, Belgium.